Semington is an old settlement and people have lived here since the 12th century. St George’s church dates from around 1300, and records of Littleton Mill (which was burnt down in 1802 during a protest against the use of machinery) go back to these times. The village is surrounded by farmland and its farmhouses date from the 1500s. The parish has a number of notable houses built in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. The village school began in 1859 but now has modern buildings. The Wilts & Berks Canal started at Semington until its closure in 1914, and a new connection with the Kennet & Avon is now proposed. The village Hall, built in 1933 and recently refurbished, is the heart of the village, both geographically and socially. A brief history of the development of the village over the past 120 years can be found on the Wiltshire Council planning portal.